Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Art of Food Delivery


            I have been in the delivery service for over seven years. The more experience you have the less it becomes a job and the more it turns into a hobby. You learn things about your delivery area that is often overlooked by most people. Since you are out on the streets tens of hours a week you know where every pothole is in the road, the fastest ways to get from point A to point B, who lives in almost every house, what the inside of their house looks like, what pets they have, what cars they drive, and the list could continue on. The advantage of experience turns the work of “I have to find this address” to “I’m driving to Mike’s house, I wonder if he fixed his boat yet.” As I said before it is an art. When I first started I studied maps in my free time and now know every “trick”. Delivering is not for everyone. I have seen many people attempt delivering only to fail when they think they can rely on a GPS. Usually they will end up twenty minutes outside our delivery area looking for a road that is right down the street or taking fifty-five minutes on five deliveries that should take twenty-five minutes because they drove to the houses in the order they typed them into their GPS and not the most practical way. You MUST learn the roads. It’s hard enough with duplicate road names in your own delivery area (I can think of six). I myself despise the use of a GPS and have never used one for delivering. We call these people Tom Tom’s and they are usually bad drivers. 

6 comments:

  1. I don't like GPS either! I much prefer maps; I've always enjoyed reading them and especially enjoy exploring the back roads, guided only by the thin line drawn on the paper.

    I also like how you write about getting to know your customers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had the navigation skill to know all the tricks and back roads. I am bad with road names but really good at giving directions with land marks. I never thought of the connection to people you get delivering food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems like a fun job for me since I love cars and driving. Each trip can become a story based on what you see while you are driving and the customers you meet. Your Tiburon looks really good by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually like GPS. Even though it can be annoying at times, I think it's a big help. I think its awesome how much effort you put into your work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having done pizza deliveries for years, I know exactly what you are talking about. GPS's fail all the time, maps and general knowledge is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really cool that you have become an expert in the delivery service. I definitely get your dislike of the GPS. Although I feel like running over mine sometimes, I wouldn't be able to get to half the places I go without it (In and out of State).

    ReplyDelete